"Hey Cutie, come up to my den, and I'll show you my etchings."

Saturday, July 6, 2013

'Independence Day' Valdez style - you've seen the parade - here's the rest of the day!

Jousting

It is important to understand that it is COLD & RAINING and the water is, at best, 55 degrees. The air is 57°.

Some of the onlookers -



Watching and fishing!


A true strawberry blonde


I watched and I watched, but he never fell in -



The contestants in the waiting area ...


Get ready, get set ...



Splash! I would have elevated out of that water and been back on the beach in a nanosecond!




A short video of some of the jousting contests. The first two matches are from the adult division; the second two from the kids division. I think the kid's match with the blonde paddler lasted about 15 minutes - they finally called it a tie! (Either that or it would have been "called on account of darkness", and it doesn't get dark here for several months!) As you'll see, they're young kids with little or no paddling experience. There was a lot more 'getting into position' (edited out) than actual jousting . Watch the paddlers in the kids division - pretty funny.


Onward to the town picnic - free food for all - seconds allowed. 




Burgers, chips and cookies for all.




This is the local band, 'Cold Spray'. The woman on the right is the grocery store Customer Service person.


Bands #1, 'Cold Spray' & 2, 'The Rebel Blues Band' - 
a short YouTube video
(I couldn't load it on Blogger?)


The fireworks detonators had a tough job - the clouds got lower, and lower, and lower, the sounds were more and more and more muffled, and fewer and fewer and fewer explosives were visible. 

This ship was heading out to fish - what a rough life.


\

These boats in the fog were hoping to watch the fireworks.








1 comment: